Theoretical Foundations and Professional Values in Nursing Essay Example
Title: Theoretical Foundations and Professional Values in Nursing Essay Assignment
Assignment Instructions Overview:
This assignment aims to deepen your understanding of theoretical foundations and professional values in nursing. You will explore various nursing theories, their relevance, and their application in different nursing scenarios. Additionally, you will analyze how these theories draw from the social sciences to inform nursing practice. Below are the specific instructions and tasks for this assignment:
The Student’s Role:
Select a Grand Nursing Theorist:
- Choose one grand nursing theorist whose work has significantly influenced nursing practice. You will review and analyze their theory in the context of this assignment.
Review and Analyze the Selected Theorist’s Work:
- Provide an overview of the selected grand nursing theorist’s work.
- Identify and explain the key concepts, principles, and theories present in the theorist’s work.
- Examine how the selected theory incorporates elements drawn from the social sciences and discuss the impact of these elements on the theory’s development and application.
Develop a Health-Promotion Campaign:
- Consider the case of a school nurse working with a 14-year-old student suspected of alcohol addiction.
- Utilize theories from social psychology to design a health-promotion campaign targeting teenage drug and alcohol use.
- Apply relevant principles from social psychology theories to create an effective campaign that addresses peer influence and behavioral change in adolescents.
Evaluate Applicability in Different Settings and with Different Groups:
- Select one of the nursing theories presented in your course materials.
- Discuss whether the concepts and principles of the chosen theory are more applicable in certain healthcare settings than others.
- Explain if the theory is more suitable for specific patient groups or aggregates and provide reasons for your assessment.
Addressing Non-Adherence to Medications:
- Examine the case of a 52-year-old man admitted to the hospital for hypertension.
- Explain how concepts from various nursing theories could be employed to change the patient’s behavior regarding medication non-adherence.
Create a Community Health Promotion Program:
- Describe how a nurse can develop a health promotion program that would be meaningful in the context of the hypertensive patient mentioned in Task 5.
- Discuss how this program could benefit the entire community by educating and promoting health awareness.
Understanding the “Web of Causation” and Nursing Implications:
- Define and explain the concept of the “Web of Causation” in healthcare.
- Analyze how this concept is relevant to nursing practice and its implications for understanding and addressing the causes of diseases.
Applying General Systems Theory to Nursing Practice:
- Provide an analysis of how General Systems Theory can be applied in nursing practice.
- Offer one practical example of how this theory can enhance nursing practice by promoting collaboration and holistic patient care.
Nursing is a dynamic field that relies on theoretical foundations and professional values to guide practice. The integration of nursing theories, drawn from various sources including the social sciences, plays a crucial role in shaping and informing nursing practice. This essay will explore key aspects of nursing theory, including the influence of social sciences, application in different settings and with diverse groups, and the practical implications of theories in patient care.
Grand Nursing Theorist and Social Sciences Influence
Hildegard Peplau’s Interpersonal Theory has had a significant impact on nursing practice. This theory defines nursing as a therapeutic interaction between a patient and a specially educated nurse. Peplau’s theory draws upon concepts from the social sciences to emphasize the importance of effective communication and the role of individuals in reducing societal tensions (Djojo et al., 2020). For instance, the theory recognizes that people seek to avoid problems in society by engaging in purposeful interactions, highlighting the social aspect of nursing care.
Health-Promotion Campaign for Teenage Drug and Alcohol Program
To address the case of a 14-year-old student suspected of alcohol addiction, the nurse can utilize social psychology theories, particularly behavioral theories. Albert Bandura’s Social Learning Theory emphasizes the influence of role models on behavior (Yılmaz et al., 2019). The nurse can design a health-promotion campaign focused on educating the student about peer influence and the consequences of alcohol use. Encouraging the student to identify and disassociate from negative peer influences aligns with Bandura’s theory, promoting behavior change.
Applicability of Nursing Theories in Different Settings and Groups
Jean Watson’s Theory of Human Caring emphasizes the psychological and psychosocial aspects of care. This theory is most applicable in mental healthcare settings where the emphasis is on the patient’s emotional well-being (Rossillo et al., 2020). It may not be as relevant in acute or primary healthcare settings where physiological interventions are the primary focus. Thus, the applicability of nursing theories varies depending on the clinical context and patient population.
Changing Behavior of a Hypertensive Patient
To address the case of the hypertensive patient who discontinues medication due to feeling well, nursing theories can be applied. Dorothea Orem’s Self-Care Deficit Theory suggests that individuals are capable of caring for themselves (Vayalil, 2016). The nurse can educate the patient on the importance of medication adherence and involve the patient in self-care activities. Additionally, Jean Watson’s theory emphasizes caring and engagement, encouraging the patient to embrace a positive change in their health behaviors (Rossillo et al., 2020).
Creating a Health Promotion Program for the Community
To create a meaningful health promotion program in the community, the nurse can initiate educational programs emphasizing the importance of medication adherence, healthy lifestyle choices, regular check-ups and the benefits of compliance (Son et al., 2019). This program can include workshops, community events, and partnerships with local healthcare providers to ensure comprehensive support and education for the entire community. Additionally, involving families in patient care and ensuring they play an active role in medication reminders can contribute to better health outcomes. By implementing these programs, the nurse can positively impact the entire community, as health education benefits individuals and families.
The “Web of Causation” in Nursing
The “Web of Causation” is a model used to elucidate the complex interplay of factors contributing to the occurrence and spread of diseases (Satyarup et al., 2020). In nursing, this model aids in identifying the multifaceted causes of health issues, facilitating prevention and treatment strategies. It is particularly valuable in community health nursing, where understanding the web of causation helps formulate effective interventions for disease prevention and health promotion.
Application of General Systems Theory in Nursing Practice
The General Systems Theory emphasizes the importance of viewing healthcare as a holistic system. It encourages collaboration among different departments within a healthcare system to achieve quality patient outcomes. For example, in a hospital, the application of this theory would involve effective communication and collaboration among medical staff, nurses, administrators, and support services to ensure that patient care is seamless and comprehensive. This approach enhances patient safety and overall healthcare quality.
Nursing theories, rooted in various disciplines including the social sciences, provide a solid foundation for nursing practice. They guide nurses in understanding patient needs, behavior change, and the complex interplay of factors influencing health. By applying these theories appropriately in diverse settings and with different patient groups, nurses can provide effective, holistic care that addresses both physical and psychosocial aspects of health. Moreover, these theories promote collaboration and systemic thinking, which are essential for achieving high-quality patient outcomes in modern healthcare settings.
Get Expert Psychology Nursing Essay Help
Looking for expert assistance with your psychology nursing essay? Look no further! At ReliablePapers.com, we understand that some topics can be challenging, and deadlines can be tight. That’s why we offer the best psychology essay writing service in the market. If you’ve found the sample paper on “Theoretical Foundations and Professional Values in Nursing” insufficient for your needs, our team of expert research paper writers can provide you with a custom paper that meets all your requirements. Whether it’s a complex topic, a specific set of instructions, or a tight deadline, we’ve got you covered.
Our dedicated writers will craft a unique psychology nursing essay from scratch, ensuring that it aligns with your topic, deadline, and instructions. We prioritize quality and originality, so you can be confident in receiving an essay that meets the highest standards. Save your time for what matters most while we take care of your essay writing needs.
Don’t hesitate to seek the help of professional essay writers from ReliablePapers.com. We provide grade assignment help, coursework writing help, and reliable research paper help. With our expertise, you can trust us to deliver the best research paper writing service and custom essay writing service. Order your custom essay today and experience the difference with ReliablePapers.com.
Hire an Expert Paper Writer on Any Subject, Any Topic, Any Deadline! Submit your paper instructions by placing your order here to get started!